Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Java Programming Language

Java Programming Language, JDK 5

I've was just digging through the Java API docs and found my way to the description of the latest language enhancements. The changes to the language in JDK 5 (nee 1.5) are seriously cool. The descriptions of the new features and constructs read like a who's-who of modern language features:
  • typed-checked generics
  • a useful for loop
  • static imports
  • useful enums
  • annotations.
Java is growing up. The for-each style loop and typed generics, as much as I dislike the <> syntax, will significantly improve the experience of programming in Java and the comprehensibility of the resultant code. Static imports, annotations and enums are, in my opinion, more open to abuse, but with discipline they too will make Java a much more attractive language to code in.

I can't help but wonder how long it will take these features to filter into programming and software engineering courses.

No comments: